I have always traveled.
Graduated from Centrale (One of the top engineering schools in France), from MIT (MBA International finance), and from Sorbonne (PhD Economics), I worked mainly in the oil industry and in real estate mainly in finance. My best working years time was in the oil industry.
My first exceptionnal trip was in Zanskar in 1977 when it was opened for the first time (I even met the king). My interests in traveling are quite eclectic : discovering other ways of living, old cultures, festivals, nature, trekking ...
When I go somewhere, I try to cover the region I visit as extensively as I can.
I have a special interest in :
1) traditional places and peoples : top on my past travels in this area is Zanskar (1977, winter 2005), Papua New Guinea (Danis 1976, PNG 1982, Korowais 2002), Bhoutan, Nias (1978), Dolpo (2004), Nenets (2008), Himbas (1988), Omo (1990), Tsa-tan (2007)
2)remote places : Antarctica (3x : half circumnavigation, Weddell sea, Union Glacier & South Pole), Subantarctic islands (Peter 1st island,South Orkneys, South Sandwich islands, Crozet Kerguelen Amsterdam and St Paul islands and of course South Georgia and Falklands), Pitcairn and Henderson, St Helena, Tristan Archipelago, Bouvetoya, Geographic South Pole, Geographic North pole, Franz Josef islands, Wrangell island, Ellesmere island, Glorieuses islands, Wake island ...
3) difficult places : Albania during communism, North Korea (2X), Turkmenistan, Iraq ... ; I am quite interested in geopolitics (I went to Berlin when the wall fell, in Moscow May 1st 1989, in Rumania when Ceaucescu fell)
4) trekking : my top places covered are : all eight thousanders of Nepal : Everest Base camp, Makalu base camp,Manaslu base camp, Kanchengjunga base camp (both Sikkim & Nepal sides), Dhaulagiri, Annapurna Base Camp ; Mustang ; Langtang : Kailash : Dolpo ; Tchadar (Zanskar in winter); Cordilleras Blanca (2X) & Huayhuash ; Kilimandjaro; Moon mountains ; Mont Blanc ; Pico de Sao Tomé (Sao Tomé & Principe); Badain Jaran desert in China ...
5) volcanoes : I climbed some 70 active volcanoes all over the world. Indonesia (all of Java), Italy (Etna), Central America, Vanuatu, Ethiopia (Lengai, Erta Ale), Kamtchatka, Japan ...)
6) Carnivals : every year I see one or several carnival ; already : South America (Rio, Oruro, Barranquilla), Carribean (Trinidad, La Vega in Santo Domingo, Aruba), North America (New Orléans), Cabo Verde (Mindelo), Belgium (Binche, Malmedy, Eupen, Aalst, Stavelot, La Louvière), Holland (Maastricht), Italy (Venice, Viareggio, St Oyen, Sardinia, Schignano, Ivrea, Bagolino), Switzerland (Basel, Luzern, Schwytz, Wyler, Bellinzona ...), Germany (Köln, Rottweil, Offenburg, Wolfach, Villingen, Elzach with every 7 yrs Burgerreiten, ...), France (Dunkerque, Limoux, Cournonterral, Pezenas ...), Austria (Nassereith, Telfs) Hungary (Mohacs), Spain (Lanz, Cadiz, Tenerife)
7) traditionnal festivals : Belgium (fete des chats -Ypres-, holy week -Lessines-, Lumecon -Mons-, fete de Saint Roch in Thuin ...), Germany (Nikolospiel in Bad Mitterndorf, easter in Bautzen), Switzerland (Beromünster, end of year in Urnasch, Fire chariots in Liestal) Sri Lanka (Perahera), Spain (Fallas in Valencia,Semana Santa in Sevilla, in Lorca, in Murcia), Italy (holy week in Tarante, Easter Madonna che Scappa in Sulmona), many festivals in Japan (a great country for festivals!), Pesola (Sumba), Niger (Guerewol), Mongolia (Naadam and 1000 camels festival), Nepal (Indra Jatha), India (), Ethiopia (Timkat at Lalibela)...
I have visited some countries many times ; aside Indonesia where I lived during 4 years, the USA where I lived 1,5 years as a student and of course neighbouring countries in Europe near France, the ones where I went more than 2x : Nepal (11x), China (incl Tibet)(11x), Japan (5x), Mongolia (3x), Myanmar (3x), India (10x),PNG/Irian Jaya (3x), Ethiopia (4x), Tanzania (3x), Brazil (5x), Peru (4x), Colombia (3x), Argentina (6x), Chile (6x), French Polynesia (3x), Russia (7x), Canada (6x), the Carribean islands (11x)
My \"extreme\" points are : South Pole, North pole, top of Europe (Mont Blanc), top of Africa (Kilimandjaro), top of South East Asia (Mount Kinabalu), coldest inhabited place (Oimaykon, Sakha Republic), hottest inhabited place (Dallol, Ethiopia), treks to all the more than 8000 m mountains of Nepal (base camps of Everest, Makalu, Manaslu, Kanchenjunga, etc ...), most remote island (Bouvet), most remote inhabited island (Pitcairn), some very remote islands (Kerguelen, Iles Eparses, Peter 1st island, South Sandwich islands), intersection of Equator & (1st land)Greenwich meridian (Rolas island)_
My Favorite Places:
Himalayan countries, Japan, India, Indonesia (where I lived during 4 years), Italy, Brazil ... My favorite place will of course be the next one!